Sunday, January 9, 2011

iTunes and disk space woes

Ever wonder where all your disk space goes? I have a 350gb hard drive on my laptop. And while it isn't one of the largest drives in the world, it is fairly decent for a laptop system. So imagine my concern when my drive showed that 2/3 of the space was already in use!

Okay, so for most people this is not a big deal. But for me, with all the video and music and photos that I carry around, space is a premium. I keep terabytes of external storage around, but I like to have space for those times when I am authoring content while mobile.

Well among many other areas that suck up drive space for no decent reason, I found that iTunes is one of the culprits. Especially if you listen to a lot of podcasts. Did you realize that then you subscribe to a podcast, those podcast files never go away? Even after you have listened to them and they are no longer appearing on your 'i-thingy' (iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc)?

Well I guess I knew that. But I never really did anything about it. So last week I went into my podcast category and looked at all of my podcast subscriptions. Each subscription contained dozens of podcasts I listened to in 2010. I have no real reason to store these beyond my initial 'listen' so I decided to delete them all, saving only a few that I really felt were worth keeping. This was especially relevant to the video podcasts I watch.

I freed up about 40gb by doing this! Oh, and when you delete files from iTunes of any type, choose to Remove the file, not keep it. Choosing to keep your files just makes it harder to find what you need to delete later.

So, I suggest to everyone who listens to a lot of podcasts to periodically go through and remove what you no longer need. You will be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment